The Balearic health service is generally considered to be of a very high standard.

13-08-2017Archive

As of the end of last year there were 1,051,911 people resident in the Balearics with an IB-Salut health card. This was more than 90% of the population, and most of the remaining 10% were the security forces, state officials and former civil servants for whom there are specific schemes.

Of the million-plus people, 22.8% were non-Spaniards. The largest group - 2.6% - was Moroccan. They were followed by residents from Argentina, Ecuador, Colombia, Germany (1.37%), the UK (1.36%), Romania, Italy, Bulgaria and Uruguay. Almost 80% of the total were in Majorca.

The figures do not take account of immigrants whose status in the Balearics is "irregular". They receive free health service but have a separate document that is renewed annually and which isn't recognised elsewhere in Spain.

The national government of Mariano Rajoy passed a decree in 2012 which removed the right to a health card for people in an irregular situation. In the Balearics, this meant some 20,000 cards. A priority of the current regional government was to restore the right to a free and universal public health service. Since July 2015 almost 8,000 people have had this right restored.

Between January and July this year a further 23,586 health cards were issued, taking the total to 1,075,497.

Comments

The content of comment is the opinion of users and netizens and not of mallorcadailybulletin.com.

Comments contrary to laws, which are libellous, illegal or harmful to others are not permitted');

mallorcadailybulletin.com - reserves the right to remove any inappropriate comments.

Warning

Please remember that you are responsible for everything that you write and that data which are legally required can be made available to the relevant public authorities and courts; these data being name, email, IP of your computer as well as information accessible through the systems.

* Mandatory fields

bill4121 / Hace 6 days

I wish that the number of foreign user of the NHS dropped as low as 20%. This will not happen until well after Brexit when charges will be intrododuced for non-nationals.

+3-

Stev / Hace 6 days

BIG DEAL most of the world sponge of our NHS that stands for national health service NOT INTERNATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE ,!

+1-