Taxi drivers in Ibiza, stunned by this week's multiple pile-up which left four dead including a cabbie, ended an all night protest at mid-day yesterday, during which no services were operated to and from the island's discos. The tragic accident, which has also left a young Canadian in a coma, happened along the treacherous stretch of road between Ibiza town and San Antonia where some of Ibiza's most popular clubs are. The road has become a serious black spot over recent years and a number of British tourists have been killed along the road, prompting a series of campaigns to improve safety in the area - one backed by singer and DJ Boy George. The local authorities and the police claimed over the winter that lighting and safety had been improved - but this latest accident one of the worst in recent years, proved that the situation along the road is as dangerous as ever. President of the Ibiza Taxi Association, Joan Mari, said yesterday that the 12-hour protest, which started at midnight Tuesday that unless immediate action is taken to improve driving conditions and security along the road, further and similar protest action will be taken. He said that the island's cabbies are upset and angry over the death of their 34-year-old colleague and Mari has demanded that the Ibiza Transport Council is called together for a meeting to discuss the problems and solve the island's “traffic chaos” during the summer. The cause of Monday's three-car pile-up remains unconfirmed. However the Guardia Civil suspect that the driver of the BMW involved lost control and collided head-on with the taxi. A Nissan Micra travelling behind the cab was unable to stop in time and crashed into the rear of the taxi, leaving the two Italian occupants seriously injured. The three injured tourists who survived the crash were said to have been improving in hospital on Ibiza yesterday. However, a 24-year-old Dutchman, who had been travelling in the BMW, is still in intensive care. The lone survivor from the taxi, a 23-year-old Canadian is being treated for head injuries, he is stable but critical. Hospital sources said yesterday however that the lives of the three victims are not in danger. The 34-year-old taxi driver was buried yesterday in his home town of San Jose.

Comments

The content of comment is the opinion of users and netizens and not of mallorcadailybulletin.com.

Comments contrary to laws, which are libellous, illegal or harmful to others are not permitted');

mallorcadailybulletin.com - reserves the right to remove any inappropriate comments.

Warning

Please remember that you are responsible for everything that you write and that data which are legally required can be made available to the relevant public authorities and courts; these data being name, email, IP of your computer as well as information accessible through the systems.

* Mandatory fields

Currently there are no comments.