Over 3'000 people had their travel plans disrupted by yesterday's industrial action by Majorca railway workers. The two hour stoppages in the morning, 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., and then later last night, between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. - the two rush hour periods - caused widespread disruption for commuters. Sources at the Balearic Ministry for Transport said that the stoppages were followed by 60 per cent of the work force while the secretary general of the UGT union's Transport Federation, claimed last night that 100 per cent of the work force had taken industrial action over insufficient safety measures on the trains and working conditions. The UGT said that those who did work through the stoppages had to in order to comply with the Balearic government's minimum service order. Normally, for example, there would be seven services between Palma and Inca between 8 and 10 a.m., yesterday there were just three. Staff and management met again yesterday for talks to try and resolve the dispute, but union sources said that little ground had been covered and more industriual action is planned in the run up to Christmas. More two-hour stoppages will be held on November 27, December 3 and 12 and a 24-hour strike is due to be called on December 27. Negotiations will however resume today.

Comments

The content of comment is the opinion of users and netizens and not of mallorcadailybulletin.com.

Comments contrary to laws, which are libellous, illegal or harmful to others are not permitted');

mallorcadailybulletin.com - reserves the right to remove any inappropriate comments.

Warning

Please remember that you are responsible for everything that you write and that data which are legally required can be made available to the relevant public authorities and courts; these data being name, email, IP of your computer as well as information accessible through the systems.

* Mandatory fields

Currently there are no comments.